Thursday, June 26, 2008

Healthy/Healthful Eating

In an attempt to be more earth-friendly, eat locally, and continue our consumption of produce, my husband and I are participating in a Community-Sponsored Agriculture program this summer. We pay $600 a "season" to buy a share (which we split with another family since there are only 2 of us) in a local farm to receive fresh produce for more or less 20 weeks. The program started last week and, depending on the weather and other factors, runs through October.

Last week, apart from the bunch of large, long radish, the produce for the first pickup included only greens: mizuna, braised mix, Swiss chard, spinach, Bibb lettuce, and about three other things I can't recall at the moment. Except for the lettuce, we've eaten all the selections by now. And, yes, it was mostly salads. S did cook the braised mix (which had a mild, spicy flavor akin to horseradish), but he ate it as part of his salad.

The spinach we used last night in one of our favorite recipes, Cavatappi with Spinach, Beans and Asiago Cheese. It is, in fact, the only meal I have made for S more than 3 times since we got married over a year ago. Yep, he's spoiled, and he knows it! He's also very appreciative of my willingness to try new recipes and include lots of variety.

The spinach recipe comes from the subscription to Cooking Light from my mother-in-law, Pat Martin. It's the first best gift she ever gave me. I devour this magazine from cover to cover when each month's issue comes, and I simply cook my way through it until we've exhausted all the recipes that interest us.

We make our "Cavatappi" with either penne rigati or fusilli pasta. It's quick and easy, and we try to keep the ingredients on hand. I can tell you that it's definitely the Asiago cheese that makes the dish. For that there simply is no substitute!

And speaking of healthy eating, the topic leads me to the introduction of another "Puma" whose homepage link you will find in the right-hand column. This "other puma" is the very same Dr. John La Puma whose article on eating better is featured in this month's Guideposts. Check out this link where you can watch his video on "4 Organic Food Tips."

No comments: