When my friend tried to tell her mom that what she wrote spelled "dog nuts," instead of one of the two variants she was searching for ("donuts" or "doughnuts"), the mom just shrugged it off and said, "Well, I knew there was a "g" in there somewhere.



Continuing a series centered around caloric overload (see previous post), I introduce you to the pure evil deliciousness found at Kane's Doughnut House in Saugus, MA.

My husband, S, and his fishing buddy George met for breakfast there this morning. S, in fact, felt he was dining with somewhat of a celebrity, as George's cousins own and run the place. Maria and Paul gave excellent service.
I was very impressed to hear that S showed good self restraint and only ate one doughnut on the premises. He brought home a half dozen (3 chocolate cake and 3 honey glazed), and as of 7PM there are only 4 left.
Now just to confirm that this is not just some small time family joint that doesn't amount to much, I offer you the following links to ratings of this fine establishment.
They've been featured on the Travel Channel Food and Wine episode on "Donut Paradise: The Ultimate Deep-Fried Treat."
The local Fox News gave a summary of the Travel Channel visit here.
The Phantom Gourmet called it a "hidden jewel," in part for the dinner-plate-sized frosted and glazed cinnamon rolls.

Of the 24 reviews found at this link, this one was tops for its use of "pimped-out" in a donut review.
"I was born and raised in Saugus, walking distance from this place. Of course, the first thing I have to mention are the cinnamon rolls.
If the Gingerbread Man had a pimped-out confectionary Escalade, he'd use Kane's cinnamon rolls as 24s. I ate an entire one when I was 10 and woke up shaking and sweating two days later 4 towns away.
My wife, not being from the area, was skeptical. We tried to tell her, but she refused to believe they could be any more decadent than Cinnabon at the mall. Blasphemy, I thought. I needed to school her. So Saturday, I crept out of bed and drove all the way back to Saugus and the old hood and picked up one of each type-- frosted and glazed. I brought them home and watched as she absolutely lost her mind. After snapping a few pictures, she ate roughly one quarter of the roll. What resulted was the most intense sugar rush she has ever experienced... followed by the wrath of Kane. She slouched on the chair, crashing hard for the rest of the day as her insulin tried to fight the good fight. Before she slipped away into the nods for the afternoon, she raised a quivering fist and let out a pained, 'KAAAAAAAAAAANE!' And with that...she napped.
I showed her."
And there you have it, do(g)nut fans, a hearty endorsement of a treat that could clog your heart with cholesterol. Which is why S may be eating the other 4 donuts by himself. Not even a full month's supply of Lipitor would justify my partaking of such an evil delight. I guess I'll have to remain...
Dognut-deprived,


No comments:
Post a Comment