Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Budgeting My Time and Talents

So, I'm still in the budget blur...argh! It's hard to track down all the expenses, having just merged two lives only one year ago. But I'm getting closer...

My time has been consumed with this, with meal prep, and with progress we have been making on our deck. (Pics to come this weekend when we put on the finishing touches...for now, at least.)
While I was away at a professional obligation, S undertook the Herculean task of taking off the old protective coating. Every time I called to check on him while I was away, he was out there on the deck with the stripper. Hahahahaha!

And he did a fabulous job! Even the professional guy we called in on second string to complete the work said so. What a high compliment!

So Sr. Tejada took over the project and powerwashed and stained the deck, as well as repairing a few broken spindles and putting up pretty lattice all the way around. It looks great! As S told Sr. Tejada, "My wife and I were out there in the yard pulling weeds this weekend, and I kept looking at how nicely the deck turned out. I couldn't keep my eyes off of it. We are very pleased."

Once the stain was dry, S and I moved the furniture and plants/flowers/herbs back and also put up rope lighting all the way around the perimeter. Today I finished putting up lights on the umbrella and running the extension cords to juice the whole thing. It should look fantastic all lit up when S pulls in the driveway tonight at 9:15.

So, yes, that means that S is back on the late shift, working 11AM to 8PM. What that actually means, however, is that he's away from home from 9:15AM-9:15PM. And I'm back to eating two meals by myself and sending two meals to work with him.

In budgeting my time towards prepping these meals, I'm once more working my way through Cooking Light. From the July 2008 issue, we've enjoyed Southwestern Confetti Salad (lots of fiber, so be warned!), Chicken Shawarma (S loves curry and garlic and cumin!), Summer Squash Ribbons with Oregano, Basil, and Lemon (no cooking involved, a plus on those hot and humid days!), and Maple Grilled Salmon (nice and tangy!).

Summer Squash Pizza (with fresh tomatoes for me!) will be my lunch today, and then S will take it to work tomorrow. I love cooking for him, but it's not the same when I don't get to see him enjoy the food right after it's prepared. That's the hard part of this work schedule.

The rest of the week promises Parmesan Zucchini Sticks with Smoky Roasted Romesco Sauce, Squash and Rice Salad with Shrimp and Herbs, and Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pitas. And...in case S is reading...YES, there will definitely be a special dessert --by request-- for his birthday on Thursday! More to come tomorrow when I bake it...

Until then, enjoy the recipe ideas and have a great day,

No comments: