Saturday, August 23, 2008

Testing, Testing, 1...2...3...

So.....many you of (well, two) have noticed Pumita's silence these past few days.  She even had to get S to guest star as the blogger.  It's been busy 'round here, REAL busy.  You see, Pumita is starting a new semester.

Yeah, that's right.  New semester, lots of work.  New people, lots of faces.  New routine, lots of free time lost.  

I'm trying not to cry here... 

Really, I love my job, I love teaching, I love my students, and, truth be told, having a routine suits me much better than having too much freedom.  I like to feel productive.

The problem with my job is intrinsic to the nature of the academic calendar.  My work comes in waves, and there is a cycle to when everything hits at once and I am bombarded with business.

That has been this week.  So it's a really good thing that S has been gone the past few days to his family vacation week.  Yes, he's lounging around with the family while I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off.  Not a pretty sight, so I'm glad he doesn't have to see it.

Currently, I am actually proctoring a computerized placement test.  I am at my computer here in a lab with 20 new students who are hoping to validate their graduation requirement with successful performance on this test.

Good luck with that!

Seriously, some of these kids do VERY well.  They come from very strong high school backgrounds, and score high enough to be placed AS FRESHMEN into the upper-level courses that count towards the major.

These are the nerdy types I adore.  I am hoping to fill my Advanced Composition course with them and get a good bumper crop for fall term.  It looks so promising!  

As I get older (and some of you may have noticed that I just had a birthday--pics to come soon!), this is what I appreciate about a new start!

Good luck to all!

No comments: